Thursday, September 17, 2015

Cool Summer Morning 5k Series – Race #4: Hawaiian Beach Party Race Recap


(source)

Over the weekend, I ran the last of my races in the Cool Summer Morning 5k Series. My goal was to finish in under 30 minutes and to get a new PR. So happy to report, I crushed that goal and have a new PR of 28:54. Back in 2011, I did have a PR for 29:23 but I know that course was short (by a pretty decent amount) so I always hated “counting” that race as  PR so I’m glad this once even beat that time so I know I have a true legit PR on an accurate course! Nothing new to report about the race itself other than the theme. It was Hawaiian Beach Party themed and they did a great job with the décor around the start and post-race events. A few people got in character and wore coconut bras and grass skirts for the run. As I was running, I kept thinking about if I was going to be able to PR or not. I was feeling SO amped about it, which definitely helped me push through! After my first two miles, I saw that without a doubt, even if I slowed down to a 10 minute mile, I’d still hit my 30 minutes goal, I kind of slowed down a little bit, but overall I just felt SO great during the entire run. Tired sure, but great! Running and racing are both very mental activities, and I was in a great mental mindset that morning. I had been feeling great about my weight loss journey and how I felt and looked and even with going to bed super late (for me) the night before the race, I was able to have great results!



I met up with a few of the MRTT Mommas that I knew before the race (one who I’ve ran with a few times since Race #3, I met her shortly after and she’s awesome!). Proud to say she, another girl, and myself (daughter of one of our Mommas) all took 3rd place in our age group divisions! We didn’t know it at the time, but we have taken this picture together right after the race. 
the 3rd place girls

Unfortunately, I never thought I’d come close to placing, and I had someone watching my kids that morning so I left shortly after finishing. Because of this, I missed my chance on the podium! My first time ever placing and I missed receiving my award (which was just a glass stating division winner) and my glory of standing on the podium. I’m a little bummed about that, but still feels pretty dang awesome to get 3rd



my podium shot that I'm missing from

Next summer I’ll be in the 30-34 age group, and looks like if I keep it up, I should have the opportunity to place next year! One of the many things I love about small, local races is the fact that there is less competition in the age groups! My first race in the series I came in at 33:14, so reducing my time to 28:54 is a huge improvement in 3 months!

Since this was the 4th race in the series, and I completed them all, I also got an extra medal! My medal collection for 2015 is huge, so far I have 15!




I have absolutely loved this race series and am sad to see it end. I cannot wait to do it again next year (and see even more improvements!)

Official Chip Time: 28:54 (overall pace of 9:19)
Place: 89 of 359 Finishers
Place: 41 of the 233 Women Finishers
Place: 3 of 22 in my Women’s Age Division (25-29)
My Runkeeper stats:
3.13 miles in 29:02 (overall pace of 09:17)
Splits:
Mile 1: 9:10
Mile 2: 9:16
Mile 3: 9:42
.13 mile: 07:14 <--finish line sprint

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment if you are stopping in for a looksy!