Thursday, January 22, 2015

Moms Run This Town Frozen Booty Virtual Race Recap #MRTT

RACE BLING!

Last summer, I learned about virtual races. I had never knew they existed. But pretty much some organization hosts them, you run the distance on your own (home, treadmill, etc.) and they send you a medal. Well, the awesome running group I belong to, Moms Run This Town, hosts them twice a year. My local chapters (I belong to two local chapters since both run in my area – Central Florida and Clermont) took it a step further and decided set up true events, so that we could run the races together! I participated in the Central Florida Chapter’s event this weekend. (The Clermont chapter event is in February, but I won’t be participating since I already did this one).

all of us
Our chapter leader, Olivia, did an awesome job of getting volunteers and sponsors and was able to provide race t-shirts (which is super comfy – I wore it Sunday!), swag bags, refreshments, a photographer and raffle prizes! Plus the awesome medal! The swag bag had some great goodies in it, and the bag itself was a nice canvas tote! This was probably the nicest swag bag I’ve ever received! One of the Mom’s husbands does photography, so he was there to capture the event. Check him out at http://www.5starphotos.net/ -- all the pictures in this post are his.

Olivia and another MRTT Volunteer setting up the post-race refreshments

There were about 30+ participating in the race plus volunteers, some running the 5k and some running the 10k. Our volunteers set up the course on the West Orange Trail, complete with a water stop at the 5k turnaround point, balloons/streamers at the start and finish, and for each person who finished, they held up a ribbon for us to run through! Unfortunately, we must ave turned around too early for the 10k (we were using a Garmin, but you never know) so the 10k distance was a little short for myself and the two moms I ran/finished with. Regardless though, it was an AWESOME event and they did an awesome job putting it together. The weather started off chilly (for us Floridians, the 50’s is cold!) but we warmed up quickly and it turned out to be a gorgeous morning for a run!
 
and we're off!
finishing the race.. ignore my boob sweat, I told you it warmed up lol

I really enjoyed talking to the two moms I ran with for the run, it’s always more fun to run with someone and chit chat! We stopped for like a minute at the water stop to talk to our awesome volunteers and to refill our bottles (so my time would have been a tiny bit better had we not stopped) and then I definitely indulged in some of the post-race refreshments (cake pops, cookie cake, munchkins = YUMMY! – there was healthy stuff too but I made bad choices). As a winner of the raffle, I picked a MRTT car magnet. There were some really awesome prizes (someone even donated a Disney ticket, which was obviously the first to go) but when my name got picked, the best items were gone (or at least the ones I would have picked). I’m happy to finally have a car magnet for my car since I’m finally actively participating in the MRTT group and runs now!

I can’t wait to participate in their next Virtual Race this summer!

Race Stats from my RunKeeper (wasn’t a chipped race):
6.15 miles in 1:14:58 (overall pace of 12:10
Fastest (complete) Mile: #1 and #2 where both at 11:58
Slowest Mile: #5 at 12:59 (where we stopped for water and chatted) 

and just a few more pictures

Raffle Table

you can really see the nice quality swag bag in this picture

2 comments:

  1. That looks like so much fun! One of my goals this year is to finally do a 5K. I gotta make that happen. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sign up for one, it makes you more focused! And the runner's high at end is great!

      Delete

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment if you are stopping in for a looksy!