Saturday, February 21, 2015

Winter Garden 10k Race Recap


Last weekend, I ran the Winter Garden Valentine’s Day 10k. It was once again a chilly morning for a run, but I’m growing to really love the 40-50 degree temperature range for running. 

I loved that this race is local and only a short drive from home. It meant I didn’t have to get up super early. The race started at 7:30, I left my house at 7 and was parked and meeting up with the MRTT Mommas by 7:15. I really wish Tri-n-Run would host more races that had medals as I love how close to home the races are. They host a decent amount, but normally don’t do the medals, and you know me, I’m a sucker for a medal. 
Moms Run This Town

My only complaint about the race was it was a timed race, but they didn’t have a starting mat. This meant that everyone’s start time for the race was based on the gun time vs. the time they actually crossed the start line. Granted it was a small race, so there weren’t all that many runners, but when trying to get a PR, even the few seconds it took me to cross the start line made a difference (and prevented me from getting my PR by seconds!). I just don’t understand why they go through the hassle of chipping the race if they aren’t going to have a start mat as well.

Anyways, the course was wonderful! We ran through Winter Garden and along side Lake Apopka.  They had 3 or 4 water stops, which is perfect for a 10k (and were nicely spaced out so that when my bottle was empty I could refill it at the last water stop). They didn’t have any formal entertainment (that I recall, apparently being on business travel for 5 days post race has done a number to my memory!), not even a school band or anything, which surprised me. I don’t necessarily “need” it for a race, but it is always nice and encouraging. A (very) few residents were outside cheering us on, but that was really it until you got to the finish line. You’d think with it being a local race, there would have been some local organizations supporting the runners along the way.

According to my RunKeeper, I did get a PR, but according to the official race results, I did not. That’s two races in a row where the chipping has messed up PRs for me (well last week it worked opposite as it gave me a PR, but I can’t honestly count a course that was that short). This was only the 3rd year they’ve done this race, so I’m hoping next year maybe they’ll do the start mat. Overall, I enjoyed the run and plan to do it again next year (well, if they have a medal again!)


My Stats:
Official Chip Time: 1:07:46 (overall pace of 10:56)
Place: 232 of the 365 Finishers
Place: 129 of the 225 Women Finishers
Place: 16 of 23 in my Women’s Age Division (25-29)

My RunKeeper stats (which accounts for the zigzagging):
6.33 miles in 1:07:40 (overall pace of 10:42)
Fastest Mile #1: 10:27 pace
Slowest Mile #5: 11:06 pace

1 comment:

  1. Good job in the race! I agree with you on the start mat issue. My goal was to beat 55 minutes, according to MapMyRun I made it in 54:50 (woohoo!) but based on the official results I fell just short. The cold weather was a nice change for a Florida race though!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment if you are stopping in for a looksy!