Sunday, March 2, 2014

Best Damn 10k Race Recap

(via Facebook)
On Saturday, I ran the Best Damn Race 10k. I only signed up for this about 2 weeks ago when I randomly came across a post on it in my running Facebook group and saw it was only $35. Knowing I have a 10k + 2 miler challenge in 2 weekends, I figured this would be a good pre-race since I haven't done anything longer than a 5k since the beginning on January. (well race-wise anyways)

The race was in Downtown Orlando, and left from Lake Eola. I arrived right around 6:10 for a 6:45 start and found a parking spot at a meter and made my way to packet pick up. I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of vendors/sponsors they had and planned to check them out after the race if I had time. I ran back to my car to drop off my race packet and had meant to put money in the meter (it didn't start charging until 8am and I wasn't 100% sure I'd be back in time and didn't want to get a parking ticket) but of course I had forgotten and thought about it the entire race. I mentioned I had joined a "Moms Run This Town" running group on Facebook a few weeks ago and actually tried to meet up with some of the ladies for the first time for a pre-race photo. Unfortunately, it didn't work out as we all couldn't find each other and then the race started. Hopefully at the Winter Park Road Race we'll get to meet since I doubt I'll make it to any of the group runs before then.




The race itself went through Downtown Orlando, but mostly the residential area. It ended right on the corner of where I lived a few years back, you can see my old living room window in the picture below.


It was a very enjoyable run although some of it was on brick roads, which for the most part was ok, but some portions were uneven bricks and that made worried I was going to trip and fall. The course even took us by the park and creek where G and I took our anniversary pictures. I always really like downtown races for some reason. 

The weather was absolutely perfect (although was chilly when I first got there but by the time I went back and forth to my car twice, I was nice and warmed up). I only ran into the sun (without sun glasses) for like 3 minutes and the rest was really shaded. I don't think I've ever had a race with so many water stops, I think there was 4 or 5 (2 with GU and Gatorade). Although, now that I think about it, they were also hosting a half marathon, and I bet most of the course overlapped so they used the water stops for both. 

Because, as I mentioned earlier, I didn't have any money in the meter I was parked at, as soon as I finished, I went directly back to my car. I really wanted to check out the vendors/sponsors, but a parking ticket would have really pissed me off and by the time I made it back to my car, I just decided to go home. I made it back to the car by 8:07 and luckily there was no ticket. Yey!

Apparently, the Best Damn Race offers free beer to runners after the race, which I obviously didn't take part in (regardless of the whole car situation, beer at 8am after running 6+ miles doesn't sound that appealing to me). And to go along with the free beer, the race bling has a nice bottle opener on it, which I thought was a unique touch. 

Overall, loved this race! 

Race Shirt and Bib


RACE BLING!



My Stats:
Official Chip Time: 1:10:34 (overall pace of 11:23) 
Place: 524 of 819 Finishers
Place: 319 of the 562 Women Finishers
Place: 68 of 109 in my Women’s Age Division (25-29)

My RunKeeper stats:
6.26 miles in 1:11:05 (overall pace of 11:21) - I didn't stop it right away
Fastest Mile: #1 at 11:10
Slowest Mile: #2-4 at 11:31 (all 3 miles were at same pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment if you are stopping in for a looksy!