Saturday, February 1, 2014

#2014BloggerChallenge - Books

Topic # 3 for the #2014BloggerChallenge is about books... either your most loved, or most hated. One you read yesterday or as a kid.

This is tough. I don't think I have a favorite book (or a most hated book). I LOVE to read. As you may recall, I read 5 books on our weeklong road trip in December. I just kept going. If books weren't so expensive, I'd probably even read more. I used to buy them used and sell them on half.ebay.com but ever since I started using my G's Kindle I spend a TON of money on books because I can't make the money back by selling them after the fact. I know you can borrow electronic copies from the public library and I really need to figure that out because lately I've been reading a lot again and it's adding up.

Anyways, getting off topic. Since I can't pick my favorite book, I'll talk about my two favorite authors and all of their books are on my "must read" list.



 





In my opinion, they both have similar styles of writing; writing each chapter in first person from a different character's perspective and then switching between the characters to tell the story. I absolutely love that style of writing. Jodi Picoult's are usually more "controversial subject based" - where there really isn't necessarily an absolute right or wrong and the way she had the characters interact and the outcome almost always blows my mind. Diane Chamberlain's stories are usually more "love-story" based but always with a twist and usually some sort of "what would you do in this situation" question to be asked. Both keep me wanting to turn the pages and I can't put the books down! I've read MOST of their books published, and just started The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult.

 One of my favorites for each author are: 




My Sister's Keeper (Jodi Picoult) Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate - a life and a role that she has never questioned… until now. 

Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister - and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable… a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves. My Sister's Keeper examines what it means to be a good parent, a good sister, a good person. Is it morally correct to do whatever it takes to save a child's life… even if that means infringing upon the rights of another? Is it worth trying to discover who you really are, if that quest makes you like yourself less? (from the website description) ** This one was turned into a movie, the movie was good, but the ending was different. The book is always better than the movie, and this is NO exception! and according to Wikipedia there is a TV Series coming in 2015, I wonder if that is true*




Summer's Child (Diane Chamberlain) Early one morning, on the beach beside her North Carolina home, eleven-year-old Daria Cato receives an unbelievable gift from the sea–an abandoned newborn baby. When the infant’s identity cannot be uncovered, she is adopted by Daria’s loving family. But her silent secrets continue to haunt Daria and her family.


Now, twenty years later, Shelly has grown into an unusual, ethereal woman whom Daria continues to protect. But when Rory Taylor, a friend from Daria’s past and now a television producer, returns to do a story on the mystery of Shelly’s birth, something precarious shifts in the small village of Kill Devil Hills.

The more questions Rory asks, the more unsettled the tiny community becomes, as dark sins and closely guarded secrets begin to surface. Piece by piece, the mystery of summer’s child is being exposed, and it’s a mystery that no one involved is prepared to solve. (from the website synopsis)


Who are your favorite authors? What is your all time favorite book?


3 comments:

  1. I love Jodi Picoult! I'll have to take a look at the other writer you mentioned if she's got a similar style

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's how I found the other one, my friend was like if you like Jodi picoult, you'll love this one too! Hope you agree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Jodi Picoult. I'll have to try Diane Chamberlain too!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment if you are stopping in for a looksy!